Emil Delchev headed the legal and tax department of Ernst and Young (Sofia) from 1995 until 1998. From 1998 to 2002 Emil Delchev was contracted to be in charge of the legal and tax department of Arthur Andersen (Sofia). Upon the demise of Andersen in 2002 and following a merger between Ernst & Young and Andersen in Bulgaria Emil Delchev headed the tax service line of Ernst & Young (Sofia) until February 2005 when he founded Delchev and Partners.
Emil Delchev brings the most valuable experience in practically all areas of law and taxation. Emil Delchev has guided hundreds of foreign investors in establishing their businesses in Bulgarian in times when Bulgaria changed from state to market economy. He has been involved from both legal and tax perspective in privatizations, restructurings, M&As, due diligence processes, acquisitions. Emil Delchev has provided advice in relation to some of the biggest and most complex transactions in Bulgaria.
- Involvement in complex shareholders arrangements and disputes between the shareholders in TechnomarketDomo NV, which included Bulgarian and Dutch law aspects. Regarding the Dutch law aspects of the matter Delchev & Partners co-operated with Clifford Chance (Amsterdam), together also participating in a following litigation before the Dutch court. TechnomarketDomo NV (“TMD”) used to be the owner of K&K Electronics EAD – the largest retailer and wholesaler of electronics in Bulgaria operating under the brand name Technomarket. TMD is also the owner of the Romania Domo retail operations – a market leader on the Romanian consumer electronics market;
- Advice to the giant ALSTOM for more than 8 years in the largest, most important project for Bulgaria in the last 20 years. ALSTOM is the general contractor of the American energy company “AES” in the construction of Thermal Power Plant of 670-MW. The project cost is estimated at EUR 1.2 billion;
- Vendor due diligence in relation to Delta Maxi’s disposal of its food retail business to Delhaize Group;
- Advice and effectuation of a cross-border, multi-jurisdictional restructuring of East Balkan Properties plc. – AIM listed company investing in the property market of South East Europe, primarily in commercial, retail and industrial property with principal focus on Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia;
- Tax due diligence, tax advice and transaction support to Heitman in its acquisition of the City Center Sofia Shopping Mall in Sofia, Bulgaria, from Equest Balkan Properties plc. The acquisition is one of the largest real estate transactions in the SEE region with a price of €101.5 million paid by Heitman through its European Property Partners III fund;
- Sell-side advisor and provision of the complete range of M&A services to the shareholders of 2be in relation to the disposal of their shares to the Bulgarian Telecommunication Company. The transaction included inter alia complicated intellectual property and competition aspects. 2be is the biggest phone accessories retail chain in Bulgaria;
- Sell-side advisor to Pamporovo Ski in the disposal of the Pamporovo Ski’s going concerning to Amer Sports. Pamporovo Ski is the only Bulgarian ski factory and is among the top 10 world ski manufacturers;
- Due diligence, transaction support, CPC notifications and advice to Delta Maxi for the acquisition of the prestigious Bulgarian chain of supermarket operating under the brand name “Piccadilly”;
- Transaction support and advice to the shareholders of diary company Fama in the disposal of the business to the Spanish private equity group GED. Notification of the transaction to the Bulgarian competition regulator;
- Advised Wrigley Bulgaria on the reorganization of the business activity;
- Buy-side adviser to a US stock-exchange listed corporation Bovie Medical Corporation in the acquisition of Bovie-Bulgaria EOOD for the price of approximately USD 1.2 million;
- Advised Agrana Zucker GmbH on the restructuring of the business activity in Bulgaria with regard to the merger of Agrana Bulgaria EAD into Agrana Trading EOOD.
Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO), Master of Law
- licensed Administrator of Insolvent Companies (Order # LC-04-72/2006 published in State Gazette # 16/21.02.2006);
- officially registered with the Bulgarian Patent Office as an industrial property representative under No 403;
- officially registered with the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) as European Trade Mark and Design Attorney under No. 73148.
Member of the Sofia Bar Association